Friday, October 22, 2010

If this is an update, what's a downdate?

My good friend, Lydia and I were exchanging "what are you up to" type stories, and this was my reply to her:

Once upon a time, there was a girl who moved to New York City with a kindasorta plan. The kindasorta plan kindasorta worked, but the girl still wasn't happy and since the plan was only temporary anyways, she quit her 10-6 office job and applied... for more. She had one more week of work [designing for a show] and on this Sunday she will be unemployed... to be continued

So, for those of you who are wondering, that's where I am at. I've been trying to do as much reading as possible. I did really well applying for jobs two out of the last three weeks, but something [honestly unknown] reduced the amount of time in the days this week and so it's been a little tougher.
However, the week did include a meeting with a director whom I'd met while working at TNC (the theater I was box office managing for when I first returned). She knows quite a bit more than I do about producing. So, I asked her if we might be able to sit down at some point. Obviously her life has been busy as well so it's taken a little while, but a bit of emailing back and forth paid off. Yes, sometimes people put you off because they don't want to x, y, or z, but I find in this city, much more often than in the Midwest, it has nothing to do with x, y, z, but rather they really are that busy and if you just keep trying, it will happen and when it does it will be worth it. I have at least two perfect examples of that already.



In other news, Emily was awesome enough to get me an old Hope jersey. I don't know if she realizes it, but she actually got me one of the ones that was once mine! #29! I'm trying to remember when it was that I wore it because I don't remember looking quite this...

so, my new goal is to fit into this top better. I mean, the tops were never overly flattering on the stomach area [not long enough], but not quite this gross either.

In order to either lose weight and/or get back running, I have tried a lot of things. I've put a schedule on my wall with post-its so I can move the distances to the "done" category when I've done them. I've tried waking up early, I've tried sleeping in. I've taped pictures of runners on my walls and on my floor. I've looked at other runners' times. I posted pictures of past Turkey Trots [my next 10k]. I keep my shoes by the door and my weights in site at all times. I'm really not doing well. And, to be honest, I don't have any new plans for running, except waking up and doing it. That's all it really takes, I don't know why that second part fails to happen so often.
The eating junk is also still a problem. It's at its worse when I work at nights in the theater. I get bored or anxious or... whatever and just want chocolate. I couldn't tell you the last day I didn't either have chocolate or skittles... or both. Now, when I tried to cut them out of my eating pattern completely I failed miserably. So, I am going to try and reduce them, but the important thing is...

I am giving up eating while walking.

It's stupid. I scarf [is that still the right way to spell that?] an entire piece of pizza and a candy bar in one walk and when I get to my destination a few blocks later, I still feel the need to eat. I have it in my head that if I'm walking and eating it 1. doesn't matter and 2. is a "snack" and so I still need to eat a full meal. This is problematic. So, the plan is, no more eating while walking. I'm even going to try not to do that in my apartment. You may be thinking, Sara, how big is your apartment? And, not thaaat big, but I often will eat a handful or two of animal crackers from the kitchen to my room. I eat them so fast that when I get to my room I am disappointed and need to go back to the kitchen to get more. And, I would just not buy them, but if I don't buy them at target for 2/3 the price, I'll end up buying them daily on my walks anyways. There is candy one step away at every corner in midtown.

Next week, when I'm unemployed I'm probably not going to leave the house much. There's no real reason to and it's much cheaper to stay inside. I'm paying rent and have a bed, I need to get my money's worth.

There's always more to talk about, but for now, back to the to-do list..

-mail x, y & z
-read Peter Hall's Diaries
-Finish "How to Run a Theater"
-Look up theaters with producing directors
-Write them all letters
-Apply to x, y, z, a, b...

and so on...


ps. 2011 is the year of weddings. Congratulations to the newest engaged Schae-Schae & Brett. xo. Can't wait to see you two at Christmas!!!

No comments: