Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Figuring Things Out

Recovering from such a fabulous weekend has not been easy. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't as sleep deprived as some other years and there was no hangover or even slight dehydration, but as soon as Monday hit I felt behind and a little lost. I cleaned up the kitchen a bit and looked at jobs, but mostly I just stayed in bed.

Tuesday was an improvement with four resumes/cover letters going out and departure from the house Tuesday night! I went to see "Wasteland" with an actor from the last show I worked on; it was wonderful. If you have the chance to see it I recommend it... or at least do a bit of research on Vik Munez. The power of art, and even more so, the power of community, is beautiful.

On the way home there was a jovial bunch of kids talking and one brought up "The Sound of Music" and some singing occurred. It was much better than what is typically sung on the subway (by riders and by people looking for money) so I instantly knew they were performance majors. I then caught a glance of the one guy's bag that said 'Weathervane Playhouse'. Yup, he was from Akron and goes to school in Oberlin. Cue 'It's a Small World After All' round 4512.


Today has been another day of job searching in my PJs. I'm a bit lost with what I should do. I've applied to quite a few jobs that interest me and I'm perfectly qualified for, but nothing's looking promising. What do I do? It seems logical to get some sort of temporary position. However, I have yet to find a temporary position that doesn't require you to work over Thanksgiving weekend. I really wouldn't mind working over Thanksgiving weekend except I have already committed to going to Ohio over the Holiday and Macy's just isn't going to pay enough to justify giving up that plane ticket. I would apply to more of the box office/ushering/FOH jobs, but I already have committed to a Nov/Dec show that shows 3 Wed-Sunday weekends that would inevitably interfere with every other job. This leaves me to get a position for during the day. Now, as it stands now, I'd eventually like to be a producing director, but most assistant positions that seem to lead that way haven't been sending me positive vibes. So, I feel as though I might need to be looking for internship number 8, but the question is, 'Is that financially a realistic option?'. It depends on what happens with my evenings in January and I can't afford to wait. Do you see where this is going?

Then again, when I think about it, what I really want to do is encourage the growth of more communal atmospheres in order to fight loneliness so, maybe I just need to broaden my search. It's not so much an issue of lowering standards as it is widening them.


In other news, my parents sent me chocolate and even though it was WW, I still ate waaaay too much of it this afternoon. Time to curl up in bed and get back to the job search.

No comments: