Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thought and Action

I enjoy reading blogs written by people I know [and don't know]. Occasionally I forget some of them exist, but fb and running in to people reminds me. Many of the blogs I read (which are written by friends) are similar to mine in that they are usually just about that particular person's life. This blog is a reflection of the current state of the USA from a particular point of view. Forget trying to sound intellectual, I don't always find myself immersed in the post. However I fully agree with his response to whether or not his state is true to Churchill's "a man's Life must be nailed to a cross of either Thought or Action" in his most recent post:

"Perhaps not, but as one friend put it, you might still be on a short leash of either Thought or Action. Churchill himself seemed to believe he was beyond crucifixion of this sort, that 'book learning' wasn't at odds with Achilles-like audacity. One thing I cannot understand is how an able-minded, able-bodied person could choose neither.

But one thing I know for sure is this: I'd have gone crazy (and probably was at one point) if I had never known any conservative publications like Claremont, read any poetry, taken the Bible and let it speak on its own terms, or found out that Lincoln was not just a racist and hypocrite. Sometimes I feel like I might go crazy (and my faith in humanity takes a blow) when I see some certain other 'hip' things, esp. in the academic world."

No comments: