Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Keep On Keepin' On"

For those of you who don't know, I have two siblings. My brother 26 year old brother, Justin is a geologist in Houston, Texas. My 24 year old sister, Anna Jo is in a master of arts and art therapy program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The program is fascinating to say the least. The following video was created by two of the people in her program of their Fall Semester Exhibition. It's their Body of Work and Materials in Media class. All of the students were working with materials and media not commonly used in art therapy today that they could possibly use with future clients. At the same time they were also creating some beautiful pieces of work. I encourage you to view the video below:


MAAT 10 - Fall semester exhibition from Michal Angel on Vimeo.

Many of the projects you have to hear the artist (or at least my sister) explain, but they include a giant piano made out of bubble wrap, paper made out of vegetables, finger puppets that require multiple fingers, and ink prints of shadows. These projects are all wonderfully complex and time consuming. And everything was hand made (of course) and is usable for art therapy purposes. If nothing else, it makes me want to go to more art openings... or an art opening for that matter!


My end of the semester wasn't quite as pretty looking as Anna Jo's, nor as exhausting. However, it was the most difficult I've encountered; I'm still recovering. The grades came out and weren't quite what I wanted, but tolerable. I'm not focusing on next semester, which will be fun, new and a tad bit chaotic. I also recently discovered that I have 3 classes on Tuesday totaling at 7 hours. This is gross no matter what, but we're just going to hope that the one professor I have for all 7 hours is pretty stellar. It's a long time to spend with one professor. Ikes. Add loving her to my list of to dos for this upcoming semester! The rest of the list will be coming soon...

No comments: