Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rachel... "dislikes inconvienent feelings in inconvienent cirucmstances"

And so do I.
The above "..." is my friend, Rachel's current facebook status.

Some people say we reveal too much in our facebook statuses. They often result in us opening ourselves up deeply, in a condensed, one-line fashion, to a group of people we only truly know on the surface. Is this a bad thing? How often do we, as a whole community of beings, have opportunities to open up? Then again, with a generation that grew up with away messages and now sends its "secret(s)" on postcards to a man named Frank in Maryland, would you expect any different? I believe that most the time the only people that look at the information I post on the web are the people who are interested in me and what I have to offer to the public. I believe I am "grown-up" enough to not fall into the schemes that we worry about our young teenage girls falling into... and I usually keep my privacy settings up. The difference between me and a percentage of the population is that I still manage pen myself up to the public off-line just as much as, if not more than I do on-line. Is there something wrong with opening myself up to so many people? Well yes, I will probably get hurt, but that's part of it. I have been hurt before and yes, I will probably be hurt again. When you allow people in you make yourself vulnerable, but you also allow growth. I think the scariness of being hurt is why people are more likely to open up online... it's not quite as scary. We all want to connect, and so badly at times, but sometimes it can be too scary to connect in real life. It is so intimate and so intense...
If the internet, as an emotional connector is a means to an end, then it should be challenged. However, if it is a plateau to something greater, then I am all for it.

In the meantime, bring on the facebook statuses.

No comments: