Friday, January 30, 2009

Without a destination, you get there quickly

The strange thing about living in a place, versus just visiting, is that you no longer feel that great inner chaos of needing to see and do everything possible. Instead, you go about your day because you couldn't keep going at that pace.. or you could, but I'd get quite tired after a certain amount of time. In addition, you have obligations to fulfill... that daily stuff: grocery shopping, meal creating, casual conversation, homework, class... ect.

And I, I don't feel bad.
I just wonder why it is that everyone comes back from being abroad claiming to have this huge life changing thing... What am I missing? Sure, I've met people who come from different life styles and I've met people whom I can't understand because we don't speak the language. It is discouraging, but we still found ways to communicate. Yes, I drank alcohol. Yes, I am in the process of exploring the museums and I am exploring the city. I run along The Thames. I would accuse myself of waiting for something, but I don't even know what I would be waiting for. I am simply here. Is there supposed to be more?

No comments: