Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tid-Bits

My sister gave me these two pocket-sized notebooks as part of my Christmas present. I have been carrying them around with me and jotting things down. A bunch of the pages are falling out. I will record the notes here and throw out some of the sadder looking hand-written pages.

-Get off the tube at Holborn for class
(I know that station with my eyes closed now)
-Wheat toast = "brown toast"
-10% tip at restaurant may already be included. Check.
-999 is the equivilant of 911
-My borough= Royale Borough of Kinsington and Chelsea
-
Sometimes you have to hail the bus
-Time Out Magazine will help you find good events... free ones too
-Look up hostuk.org.uk <--Host family program
-ulu.co.uk <-- University of London Union
Get a card there. Try and make friends.
-Ask the taxi driver's name and cab number when you call for a cab. Before you get in ask the driver their name and car number to make sure they're not scary people.



-----

To be honest... My adventure so far has been interesting. I think making "friends" right away may have benefited me less than originally believed. I just jumped right in, as I tend to do, and just acted as if they had known me before. For some reason I'm not sure if this was the right way to go about things. Don't get me wrong, I have had a nice first week, but I have become oddly "needy" of them. I tend to be an emotionally-needy person anyways, but I was trying to achieve a better balance and I did not succeed when changing environments. What do you know, Emerson was right. Then again, I knew he would be right. Perhaps it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy. The Emerson bit I am referring to goes as follows:

"I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is a better self who has been stashed away for a bit. I think part of the problem is my lack of commitment to the person I want to be. In addition there are aspects of her that contradict each other which make it difficult to remain constant. In other words, I wish it was warm outside so I could just sit outside. I did one day, but it was terribly cold and my hands turned purple and a bit white (I had forgotten that there were gloves in my pocket until later in the day). Well, now that I have a new goal, perhaps it is time to write some concrete objectives, tactics and measurement standards and get on my way. PR campaigns take a lot of work, but I sooner or later I will have to work on mine. Note: I also have a lot of other goals and this one has existed for awhile, so immediate results are not guaranteed.


The goal of a normal sleep schedule... well it's not being achieved either. Oh well, I just wish all my things and plans were in order.

I hope all is well with you.

Have a good night.

Sara

No comments: