Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Smell of the Ocean

I don't want to wash my jeans because they smell like the air by the Sea.





After spending 6 days switching between chaos and peacefulness, I must return to the world of academics. But I don't want to break from my computer with both of the last two entries being about food. Rather, I will tell you one of the many things I realized from my 6-day adventure.

I miss the earth.

I enjoy the city. I know I will probably spend more and more time in cities, especially given that is where the majority of theatre work is. However, for the past couple of years I have felt further from God. It's not a constant distance, but there is a struggle.
On Friday Amy took me to a sea-side town and we sat by the ocean and looked at shells and stones and beach glass. During my time in Rennes we talked about little things and big things and sacred things.... and after leaving St. Malo, I realized what I had said on the beach was true: I could've sat there all day admiring the shells... That day- and the next.


I need to simplify.
I also need to do more.
It's a paradox. I'm a hypocrite. I am confused.


I am going to try and keep this need for the Earth in mind when I am deciding what to do after London. Perhaps my whole summer won't be able to revolve around this particular need, but at least part of it will for sure.


I wish you the best and I hope you are able to find the calmness I felt on that shore during some point of your day, every day.

No comments: