Sunday, March 22, 2009

Summer and Strength

Seeing as this is my last summer before graduating from college, it is a bit sacred and I was unsure what to do with it. After much debate, I decided I would like to teach theatre in a camp setting. However, I'd rather not immerse myself in a strictly theatre camp. There are a number of reasons for this, but not worth explaining. I also decided I might like to work at a camp which had a goal other than simply being an enjoyable time in the summer. I spent most of the day looking at different camps. Before I even began to look at the camp application I searched for reviews of camps. It's amazing how many have a large amount of negative reviews out of there. As my search has continued I began looking at camps involving children with special needs. Most of them require the counselors to be with the campers 24 hours a day. There is usually a ration between 1:1 and 1:3 which I'm sure would be helpful, but the more I've thought about it, the more I realize, I don't think I could do it. I think I could, with some research, a little reading and a bit of help, create and facilitate activities. However, at this time in my life I don't know if I have the prior experience or the strength to be what these children/people need/deserve. I am in awe of the people who are.

If anyone has any advice on camps to apply to, I'm open for suggestions. I would like to be the theatre coordinator at the camp.

No comments: