Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cardboard Cells

Today I met a woman who said she hadn't been happy since the day she was born. I didn't get her name, but I do know that she has trouble finding shoes because her feet are messed up. She gets paid on the first of the month and offered to go shoe shopping with me. She told me her tongue, head, ears... body hurt "because of those stupid ***** cops and..." (she went on). I told her I hope she could get some rest and I wished things would get better for her... and I did, but I hope she didn't mean it when she said she "hasn't been happy since the day (she) was born". It breaks my heart to think about.

On that note, I have been doing a decent job of trying my best to see reality as it is and staying positive. I find the second part is one of the best ways to keep one's self "happy". For the most part I am successful. This weekend there were moments when I would forget to be rational and I would crave for realities that did not exist, but different moments followed those ones and here I am, listening to Bright Eyes again, being reminded that everything "must belong somewhere".

This idea, of belonging somewhere, is what keeps the possibility of being happy open for me.... well, as long as the "somewhere" is pleasant.

No comments: