Saturday, September 12, 2009

The City might not sleep, but someday I want to




The rest of Week 1:


Wednesday
Wednesday was my first day of my internship. I had stayed up a bit too late the night before, but this is a bit of a habit of mine. I went to the [V] theater a bit before 11. Wednesday night was our first preview and we spent the day going through notes, messing with cues, and teching. After the preview some of the production staff & I went next door. By the time I left I felt energized by the people. It was great to be back in the theater/theatre and I felt very comfortable with everyone I talked to. While I was still in intern shoes, we discussed things evenly. I felt/feel GREAT about what this semester holds.
During my dinner break I went to Barnes & Noble and looked through numerous different sections. I left without buying anything, but only because I had a giftcard back in my room and felt guilty buying something I could use the card for.
After I came back to '305' I sent some emails out for my internship and then had light conversation with people upstairs. By 3A I finally made my way to bed.

Thursday
I met [3] at a museum where the permanent exhibition is being lit. Having limited knowledge about exhibition lighting it was great to hear a little bit about it. Add that to my list of things to research. After the museum we made our way back to [V] for more notes and the nightly preview. I had a slightly longer dinner break and made my way back to '305' for a nap. This was a bad choice as I slightly overslept and had to sprint/walk the 1.3-1.5 miles back to [V]. I arrived only a couple minutes late and until I apologized no one had noticed [there were "bigger fish to worry about"]. Although, my arches were pretty mad at me for that sprint. Walking over 5 miles a day in shoes that have no support probably isn't the best thing for my feet/legs.
Despite the sprint, the nap was beneficial as I was much more attentive during the show. Aftewards we went next door again. There was a much larger amount of people there; a fundraiser had just let out and it was the location for their after party. We kept the evening short due to our inability to hear each other and I returned to '305' where I had more conversation and eventually sleep.

Friday
I made it out for a quick run in the morning [40ish minutes] and got to [V] just after lunch. The best part about this was that I didn't have to spend money eating out... it really adds up, but often there isn't time enough for another option. After notes I made my way over to the Museum by myself to take inventory. It was rather simple, but exciting to be given a task on my own. Afterwards I had a cheap dinner in China Town. I don't normally go for Chinese food, but 4 options, a drink, soup and rice for 5.50 is a great deal. After some good phone conversation and sitting in a park while it rained, I went back to [V] for another preview. It's great to watch how different audiences respond to the show. If you're in NY, ask me about it, I would definitely recommend it. I enjoy it every night.
I returned to '305' with the intention of sleeping.

Instead I caved to peer pressure and went with Amy, Bryce, Fallon & Rudy to The Comedy Cellar. It was a bit expensive, but wonderfully funny. Many of the comedians I had even see on Comedy Central before! I would name names, but let's be honest, I don't remember them all. It was really cool to see/hear people you've seen before [but only on screens]. We returned to '305' and watched some television. By 4A I passed out, wondering why I didn't go to bed at 11P when I was tired.

Saturday
Due to the late bedtime and limited commitments, I slept the morning away. By the time I finally woke up, I indulged in cheerios and spent most of the day writing emails and tying up loose ends. Around 5:00 I started looking for things to do. At 5:30 I read about Michael Alan's Draw-A-Thon Theater at 6:00.... 5 hours of "performance" art. I sprinted to the Gershwin Hotel and after some confusion, found a lovely purple couch and made a couple friends. The Draw-a-Thon claims to combine Theater and live art making, but there was a lot more live art making than theater. Despite the lack of theater, it was a great time. I only stayed for 4/5 hours because I got tired, but I sketched for most of the time. It was my first time sketching for more than a few minutes in many years and my first time ever sketching nude models. It was a great experience and something I would love to do again when better prepared [with paper bigger than a small notebook]. And if you think about it, $20 really isn't a bad fee for so many crazy models, props and positions.
I came back to '305' with a new energy, only to watch OSU lose the OSU-USC game. A few people went out later that night, but I made the wise decision to stay in, write, and go to bed around 1.

Sunday
This morning I woke up around 8:30 and went running. I ran along the Hudson River path [only having to stop for vehicles twice and to stretch once] and even found some grass in patches. At one point I was running on mulch and the guy running towards me [also on the mulch] laughed as we managed not to run into each other, saying "hahah, you like the dirt too". While there are some aggressive bikers, and grumpy bad day runners, I love the pseudo-community. After 45 minutes [including one sub8 minute mile due to a guy running next to me... the rest were too slow to mention] I returned home to shower and get ready for church.

My good friend Isaac recommended this church to me called Middle Collegiate. It was a great service as the church is for social change. I definitely intend on returning.


More on that soon, I have to go translate a script... wish me luck <3



P.S. People ask me for directions or help on the train nearly every day. I know there are a lot of people, but does this happen to everyone? Usually it's when I'm in running clothes [because what tourist or scary person would be running?], but sometimes even in regular clothes. The best part is that every time someone has asked me a question, I have been lucky enough that they ask me something I know! I love that feeling.

No comments: